Ok, not strictly a travel post but I had to write something...


When I first arrived in Germany at the ripe age of 19, nobody batted an eyelid at the fact my german language skills were terrible. Nobody rolled their eyes or tutted and said "you're in Germany now, you need to speak german." Instead I was met with a beer and a "welcome to Germany!" I was inundated with offers of people willing to help me practice my german, to show me the cool places to go, where to hang out, which clubs to go to, I was taken to parties, concerts and museums whilst people told me about their lives and their country and tried to integrate me wholeheartedly. I've called Germany 'home' for 4 years now: it has helped me grow, it has taught me about other cultures, I've seen first hand the extremely long lasting effect of barbaric racism and nationalism, I've learnt about the country, I've made friends and memories which will withstand a lifetime. 
Fast forward 6 years when I first set foot on Asian soil in Sri Lanka. Again, nobody judged me for not speaking their language. Nobody thought me a drain on the economy or feared me. People said hello, helped me with directions, offered me fruit on the bus and welcomed me into their family homes and lives. As my trip around Asia continued, again I was met with kindness, with people giving up entire days and weekends to spend time with me, to show me their country and tell me about it, expecting absolutely nothing in return. 
When I first read that Britain had voted to leave the EU in the middle of the night, I thought I was dreaming and drifted back to sleep. When I awoke again to over 200 messages, I knew it wasn't a dream. it  pains me that when I've been so welcomed into other countries and cultures, I come from a country where the majority are no longer willing to do the same. A country where the national dish is chicken tikka masala, where the national drink comes from Asia, the cars from Germany and a lot of the football players from all over the world. And yet when it comes to accepting normal people, even people whom we have caused pain and suffering, are no longer welcome. I know that the initial emotional reaction will die down, and I will use today to grieve over the loss of the country I thought I could call home, but soon we will have to face the challenges and changes that come with this decision. We have to engage, to remain united and spread love. Stand up to injustices and prove that we can be great. As a great man once said, darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that, hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that. So let's not quarrel with those who chose the future we are now facing, but unite and act with love and light.