A few weeks ago what was supposed to be a normal day in the office threw my entire plan off course and left me -for the first time in a long time- considering my options and completely uncertain of my next move.
I graduated university in June 2012 and moved to Germany and straight into a graduate job in an international retail company. I worked my way up over two and half years, and was excited about what my future in the company looked like. Nevertheless, as nothing in life is certain, and I was obviously becoming too comfortable with planning my future, a spanner was thrown into the works in the form of redundancy. The office was relocating to the UK, which although is my home country, was somewhere I didn’t want to return to until my desire to be elsewhere had been satiated.
   After many tears, a trip to my parents, copious amounts of alcohol, comfort food and comfort shopping, I decided for the first time in years to simply follow my heart. I turned down a job offer and will use my redundancy pay and savings to do something that I’ve longed to do for years: travel.
   I know it’s nothing new to a lot of people, and although I moved to Germany alone (twice), there is something about the vast expanse of world yet to explore which fills me with nervous excitement and utter terror at the same time. Even writing this now, knowing I have a 6 month wait, the butterflies are stirring in my stomach and my heart rate is beginning to accelerate from the rush of 100 different emotions as I contemplate what I’m about to embark upon and the idea of how my life is going to change and who I am going to become.
   The reason for blogging about it is quite simple: I love to write. I have a Thought Catalog account and spend many hours scribbling away, and surely if there’s one great muse everyone can draw inspiration from, it’s new experiences. Secondly, the internet is so full of experience and what better way to connect with people also embarking on similar journeys, with similar experiences or who simply want to live vicariously through others... I am welcoming comments, tips, tricks, travel buddies – the world is our oyster.

So now I guess by putting this out there onto the World Wide Web, it makes it official. In August this year, I will leave my comfort zone of a 50sqm flat, a steady income and nearby friends and set out on my own on a journey to see the beautiful sights I’ve been admiring on Instagram for months and simply enjoy the wonders of the world.